Today I talk with Jamison Yoder of the Funny Business Agency in Grand Rapids, MI. Funny Business Agency books comedians in clubs, at colleges and for corporate events. They also coordinate and book all the comedians for the annual LaughFest comedy festival created by Gilda’s Club in Grand Rapids, MI every March.
Funny Business Agency Insights
Jamison gives us countless nuggets and endless insights into the booking agency world.
We cover a lot of ground, including:
- How many calls and emails a day an agency receives
- Working for his father and with his brothers Eric and Michael
- How far out they book comics in the clubs they support
- Dr. Grins Comedy Club in the “B.O.B.”
- The myriad of changes that came due to the digital age
- The evolution of Laugh Fest and how a big vision turned into an awesome reality
- The Clean Comedy Showcase at Laughfest
- The process for getting booked at the festival
- How to get “on the radar” of a booking agency
- Why a comic’s recommendation can be a vital key in your progress
- Why you might not be your best salesperson
- How you can eliminate steps and make it easier for the agency to find you
- How to utilize your local scene as a launching point
- Why being professional is as important as being funny
- The #1 thing you need in your promo kit
- Why a website is more important than a Facebook page
- Showing that you are working on the web site
- Tips on making a great corporate video
- Why focusing on your client is more important than you think
- The value of relationships
- How you can lose an agent
and much, much (a whole lot) more.
CLUB 52 IS THE ONLY WEEKLY PROGRAM
DESIGNED 100% FOR COMEDIANS!
“Club 52” is a 52 week, email based stand-up program. It will include a weekly challenge designed to help you become a better comedian. This year long program will feature an email every Friday from me. I will ask you to take a serious look at some of your business practices, writing processes, performance techniques, branding, marketing and a whole lot more.
The program starts the week you join and continues for 52 weeks as long as you are still supporting the podcast through Patreon at the $7 a month level.